Friday, February 4, 2011

It's My Prerogative!!

Ahhh...(sighing a breath of relief) it's Friday. The day that most 9 to 5'ers live for!! The day that I can kick my feet up in the air and have a whole bottle of Moscato to myself because I can sleep in on Saturday. The day that I abandon all forms of paperwork and decide instead to watch movies all night because I can do what I want. The day that I can ignore the dress code and wear a skin tight miniskirt because I'm a grown a$$ woman. I can wear whatever color I want because I'm a woman who lives by my own rules. I'm going to wear red because it's my favorite and it represents my personality-feisty, bold, and hooootttt!!! It represents every woman. It represents matters of the heart. I wear my red proudly because I represent the cause to raise the awareness of heart disease, the number one killer of today's women. It is 'National Go Red for Women's Day' and Heart Disease Awareness Month.

Participate in Heart Disease Awareness Events


 If you would like to participate in other events going on this month you may visit Andie here. This is such a great cause. Speaking of causes, specifically in reference to the content we choose for our blogs, I'm also going to join in on Katy's Friend Friday discussion over here. While some people try to take shots at blogging events, stating that they are full of bandwagoners (I'm quite sure I just made up a word?) and phonies trying to claim fame in the blogosphere, others of us, myself included, are actually genuine in our approach to participate in events, whether it be for a specific cause (ie-Heart Disease Awareness) or just because it's something that interests us. Hang tight people-this is gonna be interesting!

1. With all the blogging events out there how do you determine which ones to participate in and which ones to avoid? Well personally I've always been the type of person who likes to be involved in alot of things.  If it interests me and there is no time conflict, I will participate. Especially if it's for a cause such as Heart Disease Awareness.  It's not about fame or jumping on a bandwagon. I just like to be involved; it's no different from my desire to volunteer and give back to my community, my want to recycle, and my desire to show off my outfits!

2. Be honest, have you ever jumped on the bandwagon of some blogging movement/event for the wrong reasons? How did that turn out? I'm not a bandwagon type of chic. I do what makes me happy-my actions are never determined by what others tend to gravitate towards.

3. How do you give your own flair to a blog event while still maintaining the general mission and purpose? Just by doing me and being creative.  I try to take the themes of different events and somehow incorporate them into my life story or 'topic of the day' so in essence my posts turn out to be like journal entries rather than pointless rambling.  For instance, on Monday's I participate in Weekly Gratitude-the blog was created in order to serve as inspiration for bloggers to say out loud or in writing those things that have fulfilled us, changed us, touched us or simply made us happy that week. I add my own flair by highlighting 3 of my favorite comments that were left on my blog for the week.

4. When determining the best content for your blog what criterion do you keep in mind? Everyone loves to see how you put your personal spin on everyday style so I keep that in mind.  I also love to write so I try to combine those aspects to make for something that's fun and interesting to read.  I stay true to what I know and I think that's the key to being a successful blogger!

5. While everything will not suit your blog, how do you try and support your fellow bloggers who are participating in something worthwhile but not your style? Maybe make a comment or at least mention it in a daily post and include a link back to them.

FBFF is sooo much fun. I look forward to it every Friday and apparently others do to.  Join in on the fun by going here. And in support of 'National Go Red for Women Day', here is me in my RED.  These pieces all happen to be a part of my 30 for 30 as well. That took some great planning skills, if I must say so myself! Tee hee!!!

Cardigan-Old Navy/Gingham Shortie-American Eagle/Khakis-NY & Co.


(I tried to cover the annoying looking light from the flash..bad job)
Okay so I've been waiting patiently for the blanks and here they are for this weeks Fill in the Blank Friday.

1. If I could only read one magazine publication for the rest of eternity, I would choose>>> Cosmopolitan-who doesn't love great sex and relationship tips. Their fashion editorials are pretty bomb too!

2. If I were to run my own magazine it would be>>> a fashion magazine for thrifters and how people style their thrifted finds. I've thought about this all too much-I'm gonna call it Thrifty. Seriously, this has been in my arsenal for years and this here blog is my documentation that I'm the curator of the idea! 

3. I buy magazines (at the grocery check stand or via subscription) >>> if I had to choose these days, it would be via subscription because it saves more money. Nowadays, I just read them all while standing in the line at Walmart!

4. I prefer my magazines (in print or online) >>> definitely in print vs. online.  I like to tear out the images and hang them up on my walls!

5. The number of magazines I buy each month is >>> see blank 3!

6. My favorite magazine genre is (lifestyle, gossip, home, etc.) >>> I'm leaning more towards the lifestyle mags because they pretty much cover a tad bit of all of the above!

7. The magazines I read regularly are >>> Lucky, Cosmo, Teen Vouge (even though I'm not a teen, the fashion finds are more affordable), Essence, Life and Style, People Style Watch, Women's Health, Good Housekeeping

To participate in this week's Fill in the Blank Friday go here.
This is my ode to the weekend. Drink up and be merry because I sure will! Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd totally read that magazine. Stylish Thrifters. Of course, I'd read it at the library because I'm too cheap to order magazines for my house!
    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your answers and blog!!! Rock on my friend, rock on! Cheers!

    Girls Day Out gdo-family.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thrifty opinion

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...