Monday, September 10, 2012

Savin' Maven Monday: DIY Painted Soles

Happy Monday my loves. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. 

Mine was spent with friends and family. No 'honey time' this weekend :-(  I've been stealing so much of his time that I figured both of us needed a break. Not that I didn't want to spend time with him or vice versa-I just needed some 'me' time to catch up on things...things like blogging! I'm sure he doesn't mind the break either. 

I also got a chance to work on another DIY project. I gathered inspiration from this post along with these cute shoes in order to create this project. 

Here's what you'll need:

***shoes, of course (loafers found on clearance for $6-Old Navy)
***painters tape
***foam brush
***acrylic paint-I used Teal by CraftSmart
***modge podge (not pictured)
***newspaper (or anything else you would like to use to protect your floor)


That's it!
You're ready to begin...

STEP 1: Cover your heel with painter's tape so as not to get paint all over the back of your shoe while painting the sole.


STEP 2: Place newspaper on floor. Paint the heel of your shoe with 3 coats of acrylic paint-you may use as many or as little coats as you like until you reach the shade that you desire. Let dry. I waited at least 24 hours before I moved on to the next step.



STEP 3: I wanted to do something funky and fun with the sole so I taped off sections in order to end up with a striped effect. 


STEP 4: Cover the bottom of the shoe with 3 coats of paint-see STEP 2. Allow at least 24 hours to dry then cover both the heels and soles with 1 coat of Modge Podge to create a glossy finish. Allow 1 hour to dry then remove all painter's tape. 


This is the end result. 


Now I'm not sure how long these soles will remain this pretty teal color but again it was just an experiment. I would've cleaned up the bottoms but since I'm only gonna be walking in them then why bother. 

How fun are these though!?

I can't wait to wear them-even if only to see how long the soles will last.


What are your thoughts?

Is this something you would try?

I can't wait to hear from you.
Thanks for reading!
XOXOXOXO

2 comments:

  1. such a fun idea, girl! i love the teal and black!! i would definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. Maybe painting the the tip as well?!?!?

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thrifty opinion

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...